The Rosary is divided into five decades.. Each decade represents a mystery or event in the life of Jesus. There are four sets of “Mysteries of the Rosary (Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful, and Glorious). These four “Mysteries of the Rosary therefore contain, a total of twenty mysteries. The Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful, and Glorious Mysteries are then said on specific days of the week (see each set of mysteries below). During private recitation of the Rosary, each decade requires devout meditation on a specific mystery. Public recitation of the Rosary(two or more people), requires a leader to announce each of the mysteries before the decade, and start each prayer (see “The Family Rosary” below).
TO BEGIN THE ROSARY you say The Apostle’s Creed on the crucifix. Then you say the Our Father and three Hail Mary’s on the beads connected to the crucifix and a Glory Be to the Father.
Then you come to the mysteries OR decades. At the beginning of each decade you announce the mystery e.g. in the Sorrowful Mysteries you begin with the suffering in the Garden and then start by reciting the Our Father, then 10 Hail Mary’s and finish with One Glory be to the Father and, finally, the short prayer of Fatima.
When you have finished the ten decades say One Our Father, One Hail May and Glory be to the Father and FINALLY the Hail Holy Queen
- When you carry a Rosary, Satan has a headache.
- When you use it, he collapses.
- When he sees you praying it, he faints.
- Let us pray the rosary every time, so that he’ll keep fainting.
- Did you also know that when you are about to forward this message, Satan will try to discourage you?
- Forward it anyway and help hasten the triumph of Mother Mary!
- Send this to your prayerful friends and see how the Holy Spirit works!
- There is a great deal to gain and absolutely nothing to lose!
(Said on Mondays, Saturdays, Sundays of Advent, and Sundays from Epiphany until Lent)
First Joyful Mystery – The Annunciation of Gabriel to Mary
I Desire the Love Of Humility
The humility of the Blessed Virgin when the Angel Gabriel greeted her with these words: “Hail full of grace”.
Second Joyful Mystery – The Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth
I Desire Charity Toward My Neighbor
Mary’s charity in visiting her cousin Elizabeth and remaining with her for three months before the birth of John the Baptist.
Third Joyful Mystery – The Birth of Jesus
I Desire the Love of God
The poverty, so lovingly accepted by Mary when she placed the Infant Jesus, our God and Redeemer, in a manger in the stable of Bethlehem.
Fourth Joyful Mystery – The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple
I Desire a Spirit of Sacrifice
Mary’s obedience to the law of God in presenting the Child Jesus in the Temple.
Fifth Joyful Mystery – Finding Jesus in the Temple
I desire Zeal For The Glory Of God
The deep sorrow with which Mary sought the Child Jesus for three days, and the joy with which she found Him in the midst of the Teachers of the Temple.
(Said on Tuesdays, Fridays, and daily from Ash Wednesday until Easter Sunday)
First Sorrowful Mystery – Agony of Jesus in the Garden
I Desire True Repentance for My Sins
Our Lord Jesus in the garden of Gethsemani, suffering a bitter agony for our sins.
Second Sorrowful Mystery – Jesus is Scourged at the Pillar
I Desire a Spirit of Mortification
The cruel scourging at the pillar that our Lord suffered; the heavy blows that tore His flesh.
Third Sorrowful Mystery – Jesus is Crowned With Thorns
I Desire Moral Courage.
The crown of sharp thorns that was forced upon our Lord’s Head and the patience with which He endured the pain for our sins.
Fourth Sorrowful Mystery – Jesus Carries His Cross
I Desire the Virtue of Patience
The heavy Cross, so willingly carried by our Lord, and ask Him to help you to carry your crosses without complaint.
Fifth Sorrowful Mystery – The Crucifixion of Jesus
I Desire the Grace of Final Perseverance
The love which filled Christ’s Sacred Heart during His three hours’ agony on the Cross, and ask Him to be with you at the hour of death.
(Said on Wednesdays, and Sundays throughout the year)
First Glorious Mystery – The Resurrection of Jesus
I Desire a Strong Faith
Christ’s glorious triumph when, on the third day after His death, He arose from the tomb and for forty days appeared to His Blessed Mother and to His disciples.
Second Glorious Mystery – The Ascension of Jesus
I Desire the Virtue of Hope
The Ascension of Jesus Christ, forty days after His glorious Resurrection, in the presence of Mary and His disciples.
Third Glorious Mystery – The Descent of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost
I Desire Zeal for the Glory of God
The descent of the Holy Spirit upon Mary and the Apostles, under the form of tongues of fire, in fulfillment of Christ’s promise.
Fourth Glorious Mystery – The Assumption of Mary into Heaven
I Desire the Grace of a Holy Death
The glorious Assumption of Mary into Heaven, when she was united with her Divine Son.
Fifth Glorious Mystery – The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth
I Desire a Greater Love for the Blessed Virgin Mary
The glorious crowning of Mary as Queen of Heaven by her Divine Son, to the great joy of all the Saints.
(Said on Thursdays throughout the year)
First Luminous Mystery – The Baptism of Jesus in the River Jordan
And a voice came from the heavens, saying, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”
The Second Luminous Mystery – The Wedding at Cana, Christ Manifested
Jesus did this as the beginning of his signs in Cana in Galilee and so revealed his glory, and his disciples began to believe in him.
The Third Luminous Mystery – the Proclamation of the Kingdom of God
Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the gospel of God: “This is the time of fulfillment. The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”
The Fourth Luminous Mystery – The Transfiguration of Jesus
And he was transfigured before them; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light.
The Fifth Luminous Mystery – The Last Supper, the Holy Eucharist
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins. Matthew 26:26
Prayer Before the Rosary
Queen of the Holy Rosary, Thou didst deign to come to Fatima to reveal to the three shepherd children the treasures of grace hidden in the Rosary. Inspire my heart with a sincere love of this devotion, in order that by meditating on the Mysteries of our Redemption which are recalled in it, I may be enriched by its fruits and obtain peace for the world, the conversion of sinners and of Russia, and the graces which I ask of Thee in this Rosary. (Here mention your request.) I ask this for the greater glory of God, for Thine own honor, and for the good of souls, especially for my own. Amen.
The Our Father:
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
The Hail Mary:
Hail Mary, full of grace! the Lord is with thee; blessed are thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Glory be to the Father:
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Prayer to Jesus Requested By Our Lady
O My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, take all souls to Heaven, and help especially those most in need of Your mercy.
The Apostles’ Creed:
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ His only Son, Our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into Hell; the third day He arose again from the dead; He ascended into Heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.
Hail Holy Queen:
Hail! Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To you do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To you do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, O most gracious advocate, your eyes of mercy towards us; and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus. O clement! O loving! O sweet Virgin Mary!
Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Prayer After the Rosary
O God, whose only-begotten Son, by His life, death and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life; grant, we beseech Thee, that, meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen
15 Promises of Our Lady to Christians Who Recite the Rosary
- Whoever shall faithfully serve Me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.
- I promise My special protection and the greatest graces to all who shall recite the Rosary.
- the Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
- It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
- The soul which recommends itself to Me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
- Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries, shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
- Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.
- Those who are faithful in reciting the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
- I shall deliver from purgatory, those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
- The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
- You shall obtain all you ask of Me by the recitation of the Rosary.
- All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by Me in their necessities.
- I have obtained from My Divine Son, that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors, the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
- All who recite the Rosary are My sons, and brothers of My only son Jesus Christ.
- Devotion to My Rosary is a great sign of predestination.
|Previous Post||Next Post|